Monday, November 24, 2008

After 6 months at Oracle

Gee, time really flies and it's already going to be the end of my 6th month at Oracle. Looking back, I thought I count my achievements (and not in any particular order/ranking):

First achievement - getting to Silver Membership on Marco Polo Club. I sure had been flying a whole lot these last few months. Here's what I recalled:
Sydney - 2 times
Singapore - 4 times
Beijing - 3 times
Guangzhou - once
San Francisco - once
Bangkok - 2 times
Korea - once

And to get to Silver from the starting point (Green) will require clocking 30,000km on CX flights. Quite an achievement as I recalled getting to Silver in slightly more than 3 months!

Second achievement - did a lot of Change Management and Transitions program for the ex-BEA folks right after the legal entity combination of the two companies. Those who attended or heard about it told me that the program was very helpful -- provides insights and clarity on what they can/should focus on during all those times of uncertainty. Now I am recognised as the Change experts.

Third achievement - more people recognize that my network and close working relationship with senior leaders is a plus and they are seeking my help to get connected. Goes to show that building networks and getting to know the right people helps.

Another personal achievement which I can shout about - I AM SIXTY !! and more importantly, I don't feel like I am. I always felt that I am middle-aged (hehehe) - at least that's what I continue to think. Guess this is the secret to 'ignoring your physical age'. Just the other day when coming back from a nice vacation in Bangkok, I weigh myself and oh-my-gosh, I managed to hit 81kg. The last time I recalled being at 80kg was when I was still a customer engineer at IBM and that was in the late 70's. Guess this is also another achievement.

I am sure I can think of more things that I have done and achieved over these last 6 hectic months since the BEA acquisition.

Things at the office, the work environment is thinning down a bit from the good 'old days' where we had Friday office tea-parties (at least some then and not any more now), and the monthly birthday parties when we celebrated the birthday boys and girls of the month. Some say the Oracle culture is different and I say, Yes! It is different.

In any case, I still need someone to help me pay my bills so I don't mind thinking different - and they call this 'being adaptable'.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]